Door frames are an essential part to both interior and exterior doors. Though not as easily recognized as the doors themselves are, the door frames play an important role in maintaining the structural integrity and security of the entryway. As with doors, these frames are vulnerable to damage and other problems like swelling, sagging, and sticking. If you need help with any type of door frame repair, contact Alpine Door Service at 817-332-4442.
Exact Cost to Repair Door Frame
There are several factors that affect the cost of repairing a door frame such as the type of the door and whether or not it is an interior or exterior door. The average cost of an exterior door frame repair in 2018 is $160, while the average cost of an interior door frame repair is $145.
Depending on the type of your door, door frame repairs might cost more or less than this average. French door frame repairs for instance averaged at $165 while sliding door frame repairs averaged at $150. If you are looking for the exact price of what your door frame repair would cost, give us a call to get a free quote.
Installing a Door Frame
Usually people require between $250 and $400 to install door frames. Below are costs that are generally considered when installing one:
- Basic door frame: $40 to $70
- Three hours of professional work and cleanup: $180 to $300
- Miscellaneous materials like insulation, shims, and sealants/caulking: $20 to $25
Differences Between Exterior and Interior Door Frames
Although similar in basic purpose, exterior and interior doors are built differently and therefore require different door frames. The frame opening of an exterior door for instance is affected by a 1 inch high minimum threshold that has to be installed flush to the top of the floor.
Here are some other subtle differences in exterior and interior door frames:
- Widths of the Doors: The standard exterior door has a width of 36 inches while the standard interior door has a width of 30 inches. Door frames must account for this difference in width.
- Weather Resistant: Exterior doors are built to be more durable against the elements and other damage compared to interior doors. They are often made of heavy, weather-resistant materials and require door frames with equally durable and resistant materials. Interior doors and their frames don’t require such extreme weatherproofing materials.
- Security: As with weather protection, exterior doors need to be built to sustain much more than their interior counterparts. Strong frames are essential for the security of exterior doors. If the frames are weak then they can be easily broken. On top of this, there are locks and deadbolts that are attached to the exterior door frames.
Types of Door Frames
Most door frames are made up of two jambs that run parallel to each other vertically on the door, a crosspiece on top, and a sill on bottom. Although the door frames can vary in size and shape dependent on the opening and the door, rectangular door frames provide the most strength and durability. These are the materials conventionally used in door frames for homeowners:
Wood: This is the most standard type of door frame material used in houses. You can stain it or paint it to make it look better. Wood frame door repairs represent the most common type of door frame repair.
Composite: The advantage of composite door frame material is that it doesn’t splinter or crack as much as the wood door frames that it otherwise resembles in appearance.
Metal: Although metal door frames such as aluminum and steel are generally used more often in business spaces, they are much stronger and more durable than the previous door types.
Signs You Might Need Door Frame Repair Services
Below are some common issues that homeowners face with regards to their door frames:
Sticking: Rapid changes in temperature and humidity levels can affect the ease at which the door is closed and opened.
Sagging: This can make your door look like it’s struggling to hold itself up. If this door frame issue is left unchecked, the door will have difficulties opening and closing. Not to mention it looks bad!
Split Door Jambs: This is often due to physical force being imposed on the door and can affect how the door is positioned.
Drafts: If your door frames were installed improperly, uneven areas in the frame can make gaps where air can enter the house. This issue is most severe in winter when drafts can cause your heating bill to rise.
Cost of Repairing a Rotted Door Frame
These types of repairs usually cost $100 to $300 determined by the extent of the damage and rot. If your entire door must be replaced the costs can go up. What usually ends up costing the homeowner the most is the source of the problem. If water infiltration is found, you can expect to spend quite a bit of money installing storm doors, awnings, or overhangs.
Contact A Door Frame Professional
Repairing, replacing, or installing an exterior or interior door frame can be a difficult and disheartening endeavor. It requires the opening and the door frame to be perfectly level and square. Let us do all the work for you by contacting us today using our online form submission or 24/7 phone service.